Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lives in Jeopardy?

I commute almost daily to my college. And I dread it. Not only do I have to arise from my slumber before even the Moon had the chance to shy itself away to welcome the glorious Sun, I have to cram myself as it were with other bus commuters. And they dread this too.

The bus service in question is RapidKL and it has countless shortcomings. Too many that I cannot possibly fit it in just one posting. I will post periodically on the flaws of RapidKL as and when I can.

In this first posting, I would to dwell on the recklessness or should I say the complete disregard on the side of the driver for the safety of the passengers. One particular incident that occured a few months ago shocked me and my journalistic instinct compelled me to record this video.


As you have just watched, the driver was reading a Malaysian daily while driving on a busy road. Of course, in this particular video, it appears as if he quickly put the daily down in the process of driving. However, let me warn you. Do not be tricked! This was the third time he commited this offence.

The first time he did it, he read the newspaper for more than a minute while driving! Just imagine what could have happened at that moment should a motorcycle or a car overtook him out of the blue and he didn't see it coming?

It would not be an exaggeration for me to say that the driver's devil-may-care attitude could have endangered the lives of the passengers and his own life.

Therefore, I urge you commuters out there. If such a thing happens when you are commuting, record it and post it here. Let Malaysia see this and may this be an impetus for a better and safer ride.

No comments: